Friday, January 20, 2012

Epiphone G-400 Tony Iommi Signature Guitar


















So I'm guessing here that no one is going to believe if I told them that in 2007 - the same year I won an Ibanez S470 at a Herman Li guitar clinic - I was selected as the winner of a competition by the organizers who brought Heaven & Hell (comprising Ronnie James Dio, Geezer Butler, Tony Iommi and Vinny Appice) to Singapore. The prize? Well, an Epiphone G-400 Tony Iommi Signature guitar. The most important part about the prize was that it was signed by the late, great Ronnie James Dio (RIP), the legendary Tony Iommi and Geezer Butler, and the epic Vinny Appice. I cherish the signatures of these greats on the guitar. It was slightly smeared when I received the guitar, but the actual signatures are all pristine. It's now kept nicely in a case to preserve the memory of these legends.

Honestly, I have absolutely no review of this guitar, and it will be difficult for me to fully scrutinize it as I've not played it much at all in fear of the signatures smearing further. I plugged it up ONCE, and the tone was recorded for a demo version of a song called "Mind Games". I have to say, the USA pickups are amazing - extremely responsive, and if you blink you might actually think they are a set of actives. Playability of the guitar is what you would expect from a classic SG with a wider fretboard. Neck and bridge tones have a distinct difference, with the treble giving you more crunch when required. I wired this up through a Boss MT-2 and recorded a very rough cut version of the song, and my guitar bro was blown away by how thick and clear the tone was, as it cut through the rhythm.

However, that was the only time I had used it, and unfortunately am unable to provide a more in-depth review. From what I hear, this guitar is absolutely fab, and I'm sure if you're looking to play some Black Sabbath tracks, this guitar would absolutely suit you.

Get well soon Tony! The world still needs your music!

Quick Facts:

Neck Material: Mahogany
Neck Type: Slim Tapered Set Neck
Fingerboard: Rosewood (22 Frets)
Body Material: Mahogany
Neck Pickup: Gibson USA Tony Iommi Humbuckers
Bridge Pickup: Gibson USA Tony Iommi Humbuckers

Make: Made in Korea

Overall Rating: N/A

1 comment:

lettertodev said...

This is a great win and a real piece of treasure - with the late Dio's name on it.

I remember the Mind Games session. This guitar is so responsive and the tone is amazing.

Won't expect much action from this baby given the precious signatures on them. But this serves as a good reminder of the good old days when we can just screw work and go do whatever (although may still be the case occasionally...)