Sunday, January 1, 2012

Gibson Zakk Wylde BFG (Buzzsaw)




To finally own a Gibson guitar is to finally feel like you have achieved something tremendous. The day I purchased this guitar I stayed awake most of the night thinking how far my guitar collection had come, from humble beginnings of a Santana acoustic guitar when I was 15 (I donated the Santana guitar to a charity where they had music classes), to now owning a Gibson Les Paul, albeit a BFG model. A few months prior to this purchase, I had achieved the coveted status of being a Fender American Standard guitar owner- an exquisite guitar which provides tones you always only hear on your favorite CD, DVD or live performance.


I purchased this guitar from a recently acquired friend whom I met "accidentally" while pursuing my dream of meeting Zakk Wylde in Singapore. Sometimes life throws you a bunch of oddballs, and what started off as a quest to purchase a Dean VMNTX United Abominations guitar, turned out to be a purchase of a ZW ZV Epiphone and a ZW Gibson BFG, as well a bunch of crazy twists which saw me seated next to Zakk Wylde eating seafood by the bay in Singapore (but more on that later).

So yes, as you can tell from the photo, this guitar was signed by Zakk himself on Nov 30, 2009 during a meet and greet in Singapore. I had 2 other guitars signed by Zakk (Epiphone Bullseye and ZV) which I will review at a later date.

Gibson Zakk Wylde BFG (Buzzsaw) Review
Quick Facts:
Neck Material: Unfinished Maple
Neck Type/Profile: Les Paul 50's Neck
Fingerboard: Rosewood (22 Frets)
Body: Bookmatched Maple Top and Chambered Mahogany
Neck Pickup: EMG 85
Bridge Pickup: EMG 81  

Make: Made in USA

The Zakk Wylde Gibson BFG is one Bad F*ing Guitar, with its nasty unfinished looks, natural color and signature Zakk graphics, this guitar was built for war. Solid as a tank, the tone exuded by this guitar is rich, fat and chunky all the same, while keeping the clean tone pure and bassy at the same time. This is not a guitar for elegant fingerpicking, but was built for pure destruction. The EMGs are ready for an attack at any time, and as with any active pickup, the EMGs are extremely sensitive to the nuance of your playing, and will project that in the best way possible through your amp.

The most crucial part about this guitar is that you are able to get Zakk's tone with the right pedal and amp settings. The whole reason behind my purchase of this guitar was to emulate Zakk's tone. I was not fussed over whether the clean tone was fantastic (and I do remember I only tested this guitar in dirty), but was more concerned over what settings on the amp I would need to prep to ensure I am able to pinch and squeal ala Zakk. This guitar did not disappoint, and I was able to do almost anything I want on it. The neck is slim, fairly fast, and emulates the classic LP 50's neck, which was built for good rhythming and lead at the same time.

The Zakk Wylde BFG plays like a dream. In spite of being a BFG, the workmanship of the guitar is exquisite, and Gibson still took the pains in ensuring that the product being sold with Zakk's name is that of quality and precision. Part of this is due to Zakk's personal involvement in all his signature guitars produced by both Epiphone and Gibson. Loaded up with active EMG 85 (neck) and 81 (bridge) pickups, this guitar is ready to squeal and run through metal chords and progressions with superb ease. The neck feels faster than the usual LP necks, and all the little scrapes and nicks from your pick can be heard, forcing yourself to be cleaner as you continue to play this guitar.

So if you're as nutty over Zakk as I am, this guitar is a "cheaper" alternative to his Gibson LP Custom signature guitar, and it's a class above the Epiphones available (although those are not too shabby at all!). It's a good in between for those Zakk fans looking at emulating his legendary tone. I certainly was able to do so!  
Overall Rating: 9.2

1 comment:

lettertodev said...

I owe it all to you in introducing me to Zakk Wylde.

I knew about him but did not take much notice until that fateful day - Marty Friedman's workshop...

Dude, this is a continuation of the Epiphone story that you had.

Confession: Don't ask me why but I am a bit emotional when I read about you and all things Zakk.

This BFG represents two main elements in your guitar career.

1. YOur admiration and respect for Zakk - I can tell from your playing and how much you sound like him sometimes. This shows commitment in improving and challenging yourself to achieve what you really want to sound like. And all this was rewarded with the seafood dinner - with the MAN himself.

2. Another form of commitment - in the hardware department. Having a Gibson is every guitarist's dream. You hustle your way through all difficulties and the determination eventually paid off. A signed Zakk Wylde BFG.

For me the BFG represents more than someone having Gibson. For you, there are bigger things.

Thanks to you, I got to played it (I remember for a while cos it was a GOD's weapon). I didn't dare to do too much on it, but that few minutes was more than enough.

It was a Gibson Les Paul. And much more than that, a Zakk Wylde model.

Need I say more?